McFarland UCC is hiring a part-time office administrator. We are a growing, vital, progressive congregation in the Madison suburbs - a church with heart that's always trying something new. We're looking for someone to join our small, casual office - ideally a fast, accurate, and adaptable office guru to work about 20 hours/week. Your skills in office administration, communications, social media, and data management will help us continue to grow. Curious? You can find a job description at below. Fan us on Facebook and email cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 1. (click through for job description)
Office Administrator Job Description
McFarland UCC’s Administrative Assistant is the primary administrative staff member ensuring smooth operation of the church office and administrative functions in support of the pastor and the church’s leadership. The Administrative Assistant is hired by the Servant Leadership Team (SaLT) and works under the immediate supervision of the Pastor, in coordination with the moderator. This is a 20 hour per week position.
The Administrative Assistant should have experience in similar administrative support roles and a willingness to work within the unique aspects of church life. Digital literacy is essential, including familiarity with social media, word processing, presentations, and database management. This staff member should be fluent in these applications and able to work in them independently. Desktop publishing & graphic design skills desirable. Strong written/verbal communication and organization skills are also required. We value adaptability, reliability, and attention to detail.
The Administrative Assistant will work collaboratively with the pastor, lay leaders, the church community and its partners as needed to help advance our shared ministry. This staff member’s focus will be office and program support tasks. We expect him/her to act with initiative, use human and other resources wisely, and to see tasks through to completion. The Administrative Assistant will be expected to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information.
Monday through Friday, for a regular four-hour shift (ideally 9 am to 1 pm). Must be available around the church’s peak seasons of Back-to-School, Christmas and Easter. A typical week would be 20 hours. In high-demand seasons and for special projects, additional/flex hours may be requested. We will grant the equivalent of two workweeks of unpaid time off during the year, at a time suitable to the office workflow. Time off or modifications to the schedule should be requested sufficiently far in advance to allow for adequate planning. During training, the employee will be expected to schedule one-time attendance at a few key church activities so they are familiar with the program for which they are preparing materials; these will be considered paid working hours.
McFarland United Church of Christ is an Open and Affirming Congregation of the United Church of Christ. The person hired for this role should be able to work productively within an environment where the following statement is a core value: “McFarland UCC is Open and Affirming to people of all ages, races, physical and mental abilities, economic positions, religious backgrounds, sexual orientations and gender identities. We celebrate and share God’s unconditional love by offering the opportunity for membership, fellowship and leadership to everyone.”
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure that communication to or from the church is appropriately received and distributed to the appropriate individuals or groups in a professional, timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare publications (including - but not limited to - worship service bulletins, powerpoints, promotional materials and church correspondence) in cooperation with the pastor, and oversee their distribution by mail or electronic media.
- Assist with posting and scheduling content for the church’s website and social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and others) in coordination with pastor and lay leaders.
- Ensure bulletin boards are maintained in a visually pleasing manner, with current information.
- Proofread/correct materials as needed to ensure accuracy and professional appearance of the church.
Church Calendar and Building Management:
- Assist the pastor in scheduling appointments and church events; keep and update a master calendar for the church.
- Be the primary point of contact for individuals or groups who desire usage or rental of the church building, to see that all contracts or written agreements are signed, all fees collected prior to usage, and keys distributed and retrieved as necessary
- Oversee the management of the church database, maintaining accurate contact information, records of church members’ involvement, visitors’ information and other relevant data.
- Maintain documentation of office procedures and reliable back-up plans to ensure the church’s administrative functions continue in a brief or unexpected absence.
- Maintain an inventory of regularly-used supplies and order as needed.
- Ensure that the office is maintained neatly as a productive working environment.
Learn new skills and procedures as needed to support the evolving goals of McFarland UCC.
Other duties as requested.